I'm a writer, editor and content-strategy consultant living in Brooklyn. I'm also a licensed NYC tour guide, because I'm a nerd for this city.
I'm currently content and digital strategy director at WendyPerrin.com—home of consumer-travel advocate and travel-planning expert Wendy Perrin—where I oversee content creation and social media, audience growth, and our small team of writers. I also travel and write regularly for the site myself.
Prior to that, I launched and edited CondeNastTraveler.com for renowned luxury travel magazine Condé Nast Traveler.
I also launched Time Out Singapore, served as deputy editor of Time Out New York, managed Yahoo Travel's international blogger network, and served as a columnist and blogger for The New York Times.
My articles have been published in: Travel + Leisure, AFAR, WendyPerrin.com, CondeNastTraveler.com, BBC Travel, Yahoo! Travel, Details.com, The New York Times, Every Day With Rachael Ray, Travelchannel.com, The New York Post, The New York Daily News, National Geographic, The London Times, and more.
I am based in Brooklyn, but I'm usually on the road, traveling the world. I pack light, talk to everyone, and am always looking for interesting architecture, design, people, food, and dessert and candy. Not necessarily in that order.
You can find more on all of this in my Clips & Clients section.
I’m a dedicated service journalist who gets a nerdy thrill from envisioning, launching, and executing editorial content projects that enable readers to get the information they’re looking for and then go do something with it. My expertise is in travel and culture, and I was the lead editor on the launches of WendyPerrin.com, CondeNastTraveler.com, and Time Out Singapore. Prior to that, I honed my service journalism chops at Time Out New York, where we reinvented ourselves a few times (both in print and online) during my tenure as both Around Town Editor and Deputy Editor.
My writing, editing, and photography has appeared in various publications, including Travel + Leisure, BBC Travel, AFAR Media, Architectural Digest, and The New York Times. I’ve also produced creative content for brands including Google, Cathay Pacific, Marriott, and St. Regis.
For long stretches during the past three years, I’ve been taking the opportunity to work remotely around the globe so that I can experience places — and write about them — on my own terms. New York City is where my home and heart are, though — I’m even a licensed NYC tour guide.
Digital Strategy and Content Director, WendyPerrin.com (July 2014–present)
Currently serving as second-in-command to the founder and editor-in-chief of an internationally recognized consumer-travel website, WendyPerrin.com. I launched the site for Wendy, built a strategy and mission from scratch, and succeeded in transitioning a well-known print journalist into a successful, self-sustaining digital travel brand. My duties include:
· Define and oversee day-to-day editorial operations and social media, as well as audience growth and tech development.
· Develop, optimize, and execute strategies for site content, social media, and email outreach
· Write, edit, and produce original articles
· Liaise with our developers to create new technologies that enhance our relationships with our users
· Liaise with our business team to innovate ways to reach new readers and travel industry players
· Lead our editorial team
Editor, Launch Editor; CondeNastTraveler.com (July 2011–June 2014)
Launched Condé Nast Traveler’s first stand-alone website, then served as its lead editor and manager for three years, and finally worked on a redesign and relaunch in 2014 once our traffic and engagement outgrew our first iteration.
· Planned and executed digital content strategy, mission, and voice for the magazine’s online presence
· Collaborated with key stakeholders and team leads (technology, advertising, etc.) to envision and implement a website that would best
meet company KPIs
· Hired and managed in-house staff, as well as an international team of freelancers
· Created, assigned, edited daily content
· Managed editorial calendar
· Defined and implemented a traffic growth plan based on SEO improvement, social media expansion, newsletter optimization, syndication
partnership development, and the scaling of content
· Monitored site analytics to translate data into editorial strategy
· Doubled traffic our first year, and again in our second; began planning to upgrade and redesign the site for further success in our third
Deputy Editor, Time Out New York (March 2008–July 2011)
· Developed the brand, vision and readership of TONY as we transformed from a print-first publication into a multimedia daily source of NYC
arts and culture
· Outlined a plan to transition our editorial staff to new website and database technologies, and then trained and collaborated with them
· Helped increase monthly page views from 2 million to 8 million in first year of employment
· ASME award nominee: During my tenure, the magazine was nominated twice for an ASME in General Excellence
· Planned weekly editorial lineups, cover stories, and online components
· Edited all print and digital Features content and managed the Features section staff; top-edited Film, Theater, Dance, This Week in New York;
wrote display and cover lines
· Leveraged Omniture data and readership information to craft successful content packages
· Worked with marketing department to develop public events and projects related to editorial content
· Appeared on TV, radio, and at public presentations as a representative of TONY
Editor, Launch Editor; Time Out Singapore (November 2006–July 2007)
Hand-picked by Time Out executives to move to Singapore and launch a franchise of the Time Out brand there, both in print and online, and prepare a local team to take over after my contract was completed.
· Recruited, hired, trained, and managed in-office staff and a stable of freelancers
· Established production and editorial systems that could be handed over to the local team when I left
· Crafted first six issues: created and edited cover stories, feature packages, stories, listings
· Developed framework and approach for online version of the magazine
· Liaised with advertising and marketing departments to build brand recognition in a city unfamiliar with Time Out and to position TOS as a
strong competitor in Singapore’s magazine market
· Managed editorial calendars and budgets
Google Experiences Editor, Google (April–November 2018)
· Edited and evaluated hundreds of short blurbs about things to do around the world, for a Google travel journalism project
· Wrote user-friendly display, headlines, tag lines
· Fact-checked, QA’d, and rated the work of contributing writers
Contributing Editor and Manager of Yahoo! Travel Explorers; Yahoo! Travel (July 2015–February 2016)
· Managed the Yahoo! Travel Explorers program, a international content project involving 70+ travel bloggers and influencers based
around the world
· Curated and edited daily content from the group of contributors
· Oversaw correspondence with and training of Explorers
· Promoted Explorers content on our social media platforms and co-managed our Pinterest presence
· Wrote and produced original daily articles for Yahoo! Travel on travel news, trends, and service
Freelance Content Creator, Editor, Strategist (June 2005–present)
I work with various publishing and corporate outlets to develop editorial strategy and content, and my bylines and editing packages have appeared in many global print and online publications. My responsibilities have included: creating content plans, curating and managing contributor networks, writing and editing content, optimizing content on various platforms, developing and executing social media strategies, leading tech development projects, and overseeing editorial teams.
· Published in Travel + Leisure, AFAR, BBC Travel, Condé Nast Traveler, Architectural Digest, Yahoo! Travel, WendyPerrin.com, Details.com,
The New York Times, Every Day with Rachael Ray, Travelchannel.com, National Geographic, National Geographic Traveler, RealSimple.com,
New York Daily News, New York Post, Time Out New York, Time Out Kids, and Time Out’s annual guidebook to New York City
· Project Manager, Editor, and Writer; Masthead Media Custom Content (June 2014–present)
· Custom Content Creator; Signal Custom Content (Feb 2017–present)
· Culture & Trends Contributing Editor; Details.com (September 2014–December 2014)
· Content Strategist and Editor for the launch of EdibleFeast.com, which bundled the previously disconnected local Edible sites into a national
online destination (July–August 2014)
Time Out New York magazine (2001–2005)
· Associate Features Editor (July 2003–June 2005)
· Around Town Section Editor (March 2001–July 2003)
Pomona College, Claremont, California
• Various CMS • Various analytics and audience data apps (Google Analytics, Omniture, Parse.ly Chartbeat) • Various social-media management tools • InCopy • Photoshop • SEO • HTML